Thursday, April 2, 2009

Nonsensicalness

I like nonsense rhymes. There’s just something about the complete lack of logic in them that I find delectable. For experimental animation last year I made a film called ‘Ning Nang Nong’ based on Spike Milligan’s poem and had almost as much fun making it, as I did watching people’s reactions to it. Creepy is a pleasant change from cute. In thinking about possible ideas for my film I collected a number nonsense rhymes and other verses which amuse me:

PURPLE COW
I never saw a purple cow,
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

ONE FINE DAY
One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Each drew his sword and shot the other,

Now one was blind and the other couldn't see,
So they chose a duck to be referee.
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
And came to arrest the two dead boys,

A paralysed donkey passing by,
Kicked the policeman in the eye,
They fell right through a glass brick wall,
Into a dry ditch which drowned them all.

If you don't believe this story’s true,
Ask the blind man he saw it too.

THE CROOKED MAN
There was a crooked man who walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.

No comments:

Post a Comment